Thursday, November 15, 2012

臺北,再見 :: Three On A Vacation


Due to different schedules and preferences, A, H and I separately booked our flights, and met in Taipei. There's also the understanding that we needn't stick to one another 24/7. Flying solo is expected. It's our first trip together after all, and ground rules must be set for everyone's sanity. Also, not everyone can tahan a trip that's all about tea. Whenever we need a time-out, we'll break away and get on with whatever tickles our individual wants. And we've got such contradistinct personalities and idiosyncracies. It's SO AWESOME to travel with independent people.

I was not fussed to lug a huge suitcase along. In fact, I was pretty proud that my cabin-size suitcase weighed less than 10kg on the way in. (Don't ask how much weight I carried out. I had four bags, of which two weren't mine.) To that end, I decided against bringing a second pair of shoes, and simply wear a new pair of boots and break them in. Not silly. Doc Marts. Hardy and comfortable. When I saw the girls, I LOLed. They had brought small suitcases, and well, many bags tucked away within to contain ahemmm...shopping, AND two pairs of shoes each, with full intention of buying more at the famous night markets.

Do you spy the pair of black Doc Marts in the photo above? With its old style padding around the ankles? Those belong to A, bought more than a decade ago, saw her through cold dreary London winters at university, and have survived till today. I was amazed. Inspected the boots, and they showed no signs of disintegration. WOAH.

I'm errrrmmm...spoilt. Initially thought of splitting up to get my own room. In the end, I decided to do triple-sharing since the hotel room seemed spacious, new and fine. Was SO RELIEVED that it was! I took the decision in our accommodation, booking us in a hotel that isn't part of an international chain or belong to an impeccable lineage of boutique charm; I went for convenience and took a small motel that cost us next to nothing per night, and was perched 2 minutes atop the mrt station exit/entrance. Thank goodness. Otherwise I'd have heard no end of it from the girls. Not difficult to bunk in with them though. They're lovely people. Way less querulous than I am. Ahhhh...we kept saying that if we had been in college together, that would have been so fun sharing a dorm! Then again, perhaps not. We might have hated one another. Oof.

It's been a blast hanging out with these ladies.

3 comments:

FML said...

you're so fortunate! it certainly great to have travel buddies that clicks so well during the trip.

maybe it's just me, but not so smooth for me so far. fortunately it's wasn't so serious as it cause fallout of our friendship :)

so now i prefer go solo, where possible, until i find someone that clicks well.

Lady J said...

Looked like a wonderful girlie trip with like-minded pals. :)

imp said...

FML: go solo! It's cool! For the times you want company, mau you find like-minded friends.

LadyJ: helped loads that we talked about it, our habits and expectations before deciding on the trip. Almost like a facilitation session with structured conversation!