Thursday, December 27, 2012

Till Next Year Maybe London!


Time to say goodbye to the city that has treated me really well this month. I've really come to prefer it in winter over summer or even autumn. Late autumn would be nice I guess. It's given me really brilliant weather. The rain's been minimal, and the winter's been kind so far. No major transport woes up till now. Amazing. I don't like it better than Singapore, and neither do I like Singapore better than London. These two cities, are simply cities with their unique brand of identity- one so much older, and one still young and naive. I can choose to live in either, or neither, and I don't feel a particular affection for one over the other. I choose to live in Singapore now the same way I choose not to live in London. Who knows, in my fifties, I might pack up and move here, just for a change of scenery.

I like the city for all it has to offer, and most of all, for the few close friends and family who made the city their home, and from generations past. Before I started on a full-time job (the one and only) in the office, the months of December and January have traditionally been spent shuttling between London, New York City and Aspen to be with the specific family members I like. As work in the office got more intense, it got more difficult to arrange for long trips, and they've been whittled down. Now, the routine of not being in a full-time job at an office has been settled and it's quite a pleasure getting back into the groove while balancing the rest of the demands of attending to ongoing projects.

Nothing very much to dwell on as I packed up, checked in online, chose what I wanted to eat for the meals on board the 13-hour flight, and got ready to leave. That's because I know that there'll be plans to pop into the city again, provided that I don't get dragged to the opposite side of the Atlantic. It would be fun. Squeezing out that chunk of time is always a consideration. No matter which way I fly (on SQ preferably), I know the company at the dinner table will be awesome, awesome-r and awesome-st. For this, I'll begin 2013 with much gratitude.

No comments: