Friday, February 08, 2013

The Inedible Orange Cake


Another bunch of girlfriends decided that birthday celebrations shouldn't be subsumed within the lunar new year festivities. For whoever in town, we arranged a separate dinner date, and would at some point call whoever not in town. They decided everything. I simply showed up.

Of course the other bunch of girlfriends decided that there was no way to top the fishcake. (Oeh, not a competition!) So they went for an inedible cake instead. They announced, "We brought you no cake." Then turned on Skype video on the phone to talk to other humans across time zones, and took me to the table that was piled high with boxes. "Ta-daaaahhh! Orange cake!" 

I rolled my eyes. "Why???!" They said "Mid-thirties. Special. 35, you know?" Another whispered, "We know you're on a rampage of mad acquisition. But we wouldn't have known how to pick out teapots for you. You get your own." I LOLed. My girlfriends. Of almost two decades. My precious oasis. There were candles surrounding the Inedible Cake on a silver platter. But I had no time to whip out the camera. Was made warble a silly haiku that they had composed in 15 minutes. They were already on the piano and guitar; no running away from it. Something silly and rude about being 35 and the wrong side of 40. Anyway, after that, I blew out the candles. There was really, no other edible cake. Oof.

2 comments:

Lady J said...

That's a pretty cake ;) Hehe.. Blessed birthday to you again dear Imp!

imp said...

LadyJ: Bright orange! Thanks!