Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Winter and Bits of Color


I remember a while back when I fretted about winter temperatures in London, a girlfriend had laughed and said, "Hey, 4°C is warm!" I'm now inclined to agree. Even -4°C isn't too bad. It's when it hits -10°C then I've a huge problem. Otherwise a good down jacket and a combination of 2 layers of cashmere keep me superbly warm. Am a huge fan of Icebreaker and The North Face for base layers. Then, there're heat packs to bolster against the long walks in the cold air in -6°C. But still, I've no guts to turn up at the girlfriends' in a frigid Scandinavian winter.

While my wardrobe is still mainly black, there're accessories chockful of colors to make up for it. There're even flannel shirts, excuse me. I don't even bother wearing flannel in London unless I'm out riding in winter. But it does keep me warm. We're in an unusually cold end fall/early winter Pacific Northwest after all. The man has eschewed his cotton shirts and picked out a few flannel pieces to strut. He likes it. But it's usually too warm in Singapore. Apparently in some fashion poll, Seattle/Tacoma took the spot for being the most flannel-loving city in America, followed by Boston and San Francisco. Portland didn't even make the Top Ten. Hahahah.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the knitted headband! Looks cooler than a beanie for sure but still does the job.
Have tried to knit one for myself but it keeps drooping. Need to redo.

imp said...

fern: the headband is tapered narrow and held by giant buttons at the 'bottom' where it hits the base of the neck. It kinda gives a bit of friction and hold. Does that make sense to you? I don't knit...so dunno the physics portion...

If it's not -10c, I'm good with just covering the ears. On many days, a pair of headphones work great too. Heh.

jo said...

I love the headbands too! You wear them well :)

imp said...

Jo: Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the denim and black pullover get-up!! Really chic!

imp said...

Joanne: that's my default riding get-up that i quite like porting over. Swap put leather boots for Wellies and I'm all good to hose horses down in the stable. :)