Friday, August 15, 2014

Karl Johans Gate


I suppose I have to walk down the main street of Oslo and see what it's all about. Karl Johans gate. Surrounding this 'main street' are the Royal Palace, Stortinget (their Parliament house), the Oslo Cathedral, the National Theatre and all that. Headed out on a sunny day and took the not-too-crowded train downtown and dropped off at Stortinget station. What a warm day. Walked and walked and felt really pleased.

Acquaintances mentioned that shopping in Norway isn't fantastic. That's awesome. I'm not here to shop. Why oh why would I want to hang around a mall?! There's so much outdoors, green and love. I didn't care for the shops around Karl Johans gate. Maybe I might feel different if I live here. I didn't mind staying outside to look up at the buildings and admire their windows. Some gorgeous architecture dot downtown Oslo.

Also needed to pop into a telco store to grab a data-SIM card that I forgot to buy at the airport. Not that easy to stumble upon a Telenor or a Netcom. Grrrr. I had such a good time soaking up the vibes and sounds of downtown Oslo. Fun enough for an afternoon of checking out the sights.

Folketeateret. This would be a great place to hang out when it's hosting plays.

No comments: