Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Norske håndverket øl


Beer in Norwegian is 'øl'. That's the first sort of pronunciation I must get right. I'm pleased that the local supermarkets stock pretty decent craft beers. I started with the familiar Nøgne Ø. Love its Havrestout and Brown Ale.

At NOK49 to NOK54 a bottle at the stores, they're about S$10 to S$12. The bars charge more of course, but all still cheaper than Singapore. And there I thought alcohol in Oslo is going to be pricey because of its prohibitive alcohol tax which also includes an environmental tax on glass containers, packaging unit and single-usage. But one forgets that when it comes to base prices, nothing beats Singapore. Overall, alcohol in Oslo is still about 15% cheaper than what I get at home.

I'm not here to hang out at rowdy pubs. The friends have got perfectly gorgeous homes with enough space for us to chill out without having to cross paths with rude drunks. I bought bottles to stock up in the girlfriend's gigantic fridge so that I could just have a pint or two every other night. No issues drinking at home yet. Her boys aren't interested in my smelly beer. Oof. Would love to cart all these beer home to Singapore. But glass. Weight and high possibility of breakage. Not even two bottles (within Singapore Customs' quota of a litre of beer with a bottle of whisky); it's simply not worth the effort. Eiooww. I'll drink 'em all here till my beer belly pops out.

No comments: