Sunday, September 21, 2014

Flying

Kept a watchful eye on Bárðarbunga and its surrounding seismic activities, in case its eruptions create this huge ash cloud repeating Eyjafjallajökull April 2010. Well, I wasn't worried at all. *shrug* The girlfriend and her family would just have to see my face for another week perhaps! Each time someone asks when I was going home, the answer has changed from "September" to "it depends on Bárðarbunga". Muahahaha.

Recent heart-stopping events left me a little nervous about flying. Especially when this was my first-ever long-haul non-SQ flight, selected for personal travel instead of work trips. That made me more nervous than anything else. Chose Qatar Airways. I had neither baggage privileges nor frequent flyer concessions, save for the usual fast-track options at Customs. Otherwise, zilch. There would be a three-hour transit at Doha both-ways. I was slightly curious about Doha's new Hamad International Airport- which is spacious and swanky. Except their ground staff couldn't differentiate between 'new boarding time' and the revised 'ETD' even if it was staring at them right on the screen. Luckily I'm not the lost or blur-blur type of passenger. If I had listened to the silly ground staff, I'd have missed my flight. Yes, I heard about Qatar Airways' dubious employment contracts. But I reserve all judgment for now. There're more worrying news and ensuing developments about Qatar and its foreign policies that are of greater concern, US-led air strikes or otherwise. This might very well mark the first and last time I fly Qatar Airways.

SIN-DOH-OSL, then OSL-DOH-SIN. On the way home at Oslo Gardemoen Airport, a very slow Customs officer and three consecutive idiotic expiring visas held up the queue for 25min, making me this near to missing the already-delayed-by-an-hour flight. Then the mad scramble at the boarding gate made me do a double-take and wondered if I was in an airport in uhh Asia instead. When the plane was finally cleared for passengers to board, nobody bothered about queuing, the order of seat numbers being called or whatever. Everybody just whooshed to the front. Well, I wasn't going to stupidly wait at the back. After remaining stunned for a minute taking in the scene, I jostled forward, thrust the passport at the flight attendant, and hurried to my seat where calm awaited. Asked for a glass of single malt instead of the usual sparkling water. Alcohol was necessary in this instance. A Glenfiddich 15y.o and a snooze fortified the temper and kept it in check for the next leg of delays in Doha.

The flights to and fro were comfortable. Single seat, flat bed, sufficient privacy. But narrow. If your butt is wayy bigger than mine, you'll be rather squashed. I slept loads till there wasn't any jet lag either way. Food was all right. In fact, the Arabic mezze platters were awesome. Service was adequate. But. It's not the same when I step into the plane and don't feel that comfortable familiarity, or when I land and don't hear the "Singaporeans and Residents, a warm welcome home." Let's just say that I kinda miss SQ a teeny bit. :P

6 comments:

tuti said...

welcome home, imp. :)

imp said...

thanks. :)

Rissa.Lim said...

Totally understand what you meant about the "scene" hahaahhaha. I was also equally as shocked on my solo trip to Montreal on Qatar!

imp said...

larissa: why ah why ah. We must chat soon and dissect why. it's completely beyond me!!

Anonymous said...

That foreign policy is the reason why the husband won't go onto QR either. In fact I got a glare and probably a little rant from him when I told him S said J on QR is pretty good. After my last non SQ flight that had you in stitches even, I wouldn't say I miss SQ a teeny bit, hee!

imp said...

supercoati: QR's flight route in this case makes great sense. Very easy flights broken up into manageable breaks. The security at Doha airport was minimal- no need to take out laptop or loquids or remove jacket or take out shoes. I was almost snarky in guessing why. I'm glad I flew QR though. Just to see it and understand it.

Next trip to Oslo will see a stopover in another city, so QR routes won't make sense anymore. Probably on SQ via London or Stockholm. I not very keen on Eithad or Emirates leh. Unless either offers a particular flight route that is most practical for an intended destination.