Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Dense Brown Goat Cheese


Gjetost (eller 'brunost') er min absolutt favoritt. I've loved this cheese for a long time. Not a fan of goat cheese because of its base taste, but I like brunost. The only one out of the categories of all goat cheeses. Learnt to discern the differences in flavors between the available brands at the supermarkets. Ate loads in Norway and bought huge tubs home. It shouldn't be so, but I stuffed half into the freezer. The rest stayed in the cheese compartment. Then I could extend the happiness of eating my favorite cheese for a little while more.

Brunost is kinda sweet and salty at the same time, at a level of 'sweetness' I can tolerate, since they comprise caramelized milk sugars. One could slice off with a cheese cutter or a really sharp knife. I like thick slabs. Been using a really sharp knife to grab pieces for either a light lunch or a snack.

The man has been heading out to work at 5.15am. At that timing, he doesn't feel like eating a full breakfast or anything oily or unappetizingly presented. Small portions of bread or eggs suit his stomach better. Grudgingly shared my precious slabs of brunost with him. He's taken a shine to eating it with a dollop of spiced pumpkin jam on multi-grain bread. It goes fine with apple chai spiced jam, spiced plum or spiced pear. This year, we received a ton of precious homemade lower-in-sugar jams from Seattle and Cumbria. Made and sent with much love from the friends. Whatever that's been nicely spiced and put on nutty bread would contrast with the brunost and make a pretty tasty bite.

Spied them an an airport cafe. Brought two along on the flight home.

4 comments:

Katrijn said...

Mueslibollen! With cheese!

My favourite travel and camp food, the stuff I have lived off as a student...

I can the pictures of laks, of cheese, even of freshly picked berries, but the mueslibollen... I think I might have to go book a flight to Europe now.

imp said...

Awwww. Christmas is coming round soon! Did you eat your fill when you popped home for a visit in summer?

Katrijn said...

Actually, we didn't go back this summer, due to lots of work related stress and vagueness. I suppose that's could be the reason behind the forceful longing. We'll hopefully be heading back for a visit in Jan/Feb, and I will stock up then.

We've just had visitors from back home, so the fridge is filled with large slabs of lovely cheese at least! (And pepernoten! Which the Norwegians apparently also make, according to my Bergen-based source :))

imp said...

ginger biscuits! i like those unglazed versions.

Jan/Feb sounds like a great time. Oh thank goodness for visitors. they bring the best stuff. Meanwhile your fridge and your stomach are happy still.