Friday, November 14, 2014

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Grinned when I saw the dates of the play presented by Shakespeare's Globe, directed by Dominic Dromgoole. This isn't mid-summer. But in Singapore where our weather is either sunny or rainy, I suppose this month is as fantastic as English mid-summer temperatures without the longer hours of sunshine.

Didn't know if I could make the dates. You know Shakespeare isn't high on my any-sort-of list. Everything to do with those academic years leave very little fond memories, even though I had the fortune to watch the plays on stage as I was studying them, forced to sit at theatres in London and New York City. Anyway. It turned out that I had a free evening. Bought a spare ticket from the friends who suspiciously produced one immediately when I asked, three days ago. It was a very good seat too, smack in the middle of the friends all in a row.

Costumes don't usually garner my attention, but I did notice these. Much effort had been put into constructing the costumes and wigs. They didn't stinge on a touring production and seemed to have hauled over the entire backstage and wardrobe team of a London theatre. I also didn't particularly care about actors. As long as they are good. Really appreciated seeing Janie Dee as Hippolyta/Titania and Aden Gillett as Theseus/Oberon. It's a re-work and different from the Company's run last September in London with leads as King of the Fairies John Light and Queen of the Fairies Michelle Terry and Nick Bottom Pearce Quigley; that was also directed by Dominic Dromgoole.

'A Midsummer Night's Dream' is probably my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies because it just doesn't feel like the rest of his works. 'As You Like It' wasn't the least bit cute. So torturous having to write essays about it and be graded for that. It was funny seeing these fairies and silly love stories in full colors on stage again, being reminded that humor in the 15th century didn't seem that different from ours. The cast made the audience laugh. Fairies and the woodlands. The forest. All very enchanting. Happy to see quality productions come to Singapore. But please, Singapore speaks English. Inserting phrases that aren't English into a play is just hugely confusing.

I think the Company is coming back next year with 'Hamlet'. This bunch of friends said they would fly into town when the dates are announced and expect me to hang around too. o_O "Sweets to the sweet." Ah, that corny ironic association of the phrase. Now, just how much do I love these friends?

No comments: