Tuesday, December 02, 2014

New Locks Are Always Needed


It's definitely me. Each trip into the US, TSA spoils a lock or the zip of a suitcase, or both. Twice, they rendered the suitcase more or less useless despite sending it for repairs. Europe never does it to me. Only US. GROWL. 100% hit rate on inbound and outbound international flights.

Yeah I know, it can't be helped, but it's absolutely annoying. HAIZZZ. Many friends have given up on locking their suitcases. I can't let go of OCD complex and follow suit. It's just too much for my brains. My suitcases absolutely have to be locked, including cabin luggage.

The moment I retrieve the suitcases at the airport, I'd know if TSA has touched any. This time, a glance at the suitcases confirmed TSA went through all FOUR of them. Dunno how they could reset the combination of the lock, but they always do that, to me. And getting in, TSA managed to kill two locks and one suitcase. At the hotel, after sorting out check-in stuff, I also requested for a bolt-cutter. Like...now, so that I can grab a hot shower and get my stuff out. The hotel staff was most sympathetic because the person wielding the bolt-cutter arrived at the room within a minute of us stepping in. A total lifesaver.

A particular suitcase held a truckload of instant packs of Singapore-style black coffee, blocks of belachan, and jars of kaya. Maybe that's why TSA zoomed in on it. Oh whatever. Pfffft. It could have been worse. At least nothing was confiscated. Most important. Otherwise I'd really be miffed. Well, I've always brought in odd items or send parcels with strange contents via mail and so far, everything's gone through Customs fine. Found a convenient time slot and went out to buy a new suitcase and five cheap TSA-approved dial-combi locks. Yeah, five. Gotta. Sigh. I wonder how long they'll last. 

No comments: