Saturday, December 24, 2016

Lark, Re-visited


Lark has moved over to Central Agency Building at E Seneca St and co-branded cocktail space as Bitter/Raw on the second level. It's open during the festive season and makes it convenient if we're more keen on drinks, company and conversation rather than focusing on its food.

I wasn't impressed by the food at Lark three years ago, and am still not impressed by it now. Oddly enough, the food has improved since then, but still not as good as I had hoped. Portions are still small for its prices. This is a restaurant where you'd have to order a starter and a main so that you would be filled up. This, coming from a person with a tiny stomach capacity. I appreciated the complimentary starters of bread and olives. Those were tasty! My wild mushroom risotto was a little strange because of the sour cream. I quickly scooped it out and left it aside; there weren't as many mushrooms as I'd have preferred. I've had many better versions elsewhere.

The desserts were apparently really good. We shared everything. The cookies and cream pavé with chocolate cookie crumble and mint chocolate chip ice-cream was a total winner. Malt ice-cream with hazelnuts and spiced carrot cake were surprisingly good. I'd go as far as to say I like its desserts much better than its mains. Hahahah. The chocolate madeleines with Theo dark chocolate sauce went down quickly. Tiny madeleines kept warm under the napkin. Sweet but when each piece was made small, one bite didn't hurt.

We liked its wine list and the new world flavors of WA wines sit very well with us. Well, for someone not into wines, I love these WA deep flavors. All medium-bodied and dark cherries. Our 2014 cabernet sauvignon from Disruption seemed similar to a merlot, but we love it enough to have a second and third bottle. Heh.

No comments: