Friday, April 21, 2017

POP AYE

Beyond knowing that the Sundance award-winning Singaporean-directed film was about a man's journey and search for a later-life identity and redemption, and an elephant was involved, I didn't know anything else about it. I managed to ignore all online reviews, trailers and even the plot summary of POP AYE before watching it at The Projector. I was blown away by how beautiful the film is.

I didn't know it was set in Thailand, or that the film is entirely Thai-speaking! YAYYY! No need to read 'em subtitles! Hehehehehe. I was eagerly texting the friends after that, exclaiming that it's a film of 'our generation' and they should watch it when it gets to Thai cinemas. Or on Netflix. This film will be screened at the Bangkok ASEAN Film Festival next week.

I said 'our generation' because the protagonist's journey is one that reasonates with people in the late thirties to fifties. Lead actor Thaneth Warakulnukroh (ธเนศ วรากุลนุเคราะห์) used to be a popular rock singer in the late 80s to 90s. Lead actress Penpak Sirikul (เพ็ญพักตร์ ศิริกุล) was a film celebrity in her younger days; she sings well too. When I first picked up the language in 1997, I listened to a lot of their songs and watched many of her films. Teeeheeeheeee.

Love the final product on screen. Great shots, editing and concept. Very nuanced. What a stunning film by writer-director Kirsten Tan, director of photography Chananun Chotrungproj and editor Lee Chatametikool.

No comments: