Monday, October 02, 2017

ไปที่ร้านหนังสือ

Bookmoby at BACC.

Bookmoby at BACC

I read (for leisure) in four languages. Maybe five, depending. Often, my preferred reading genres don't deviate from fantasy, horror, crime, supernatural and the sorts. The Kindle store meets most of my needs, but I still prefer to buy some books in their physical copies.

In Bangkok, I took time to seek out a few bookstores to buy some non-English books. One of my favorite ones is Bookmoby at BACC. It's a small little bookstore that stocks a lot of titles in the literary arts. You could find loads of Thai writers and critique on films, theater, art and everything else in between. Bought three books by new-to-me Thai writers.

There's a Kinokuniya at EmQuartier as well, wonderful for rainy days since it's linked straight to Phrom Phong BTS station, and uhh on my way to and fro this branch of Virgin Active. These two bookstores meet all my needs for Thai novels, and Japanese books. Oddly, Bangkok stocks a wider range of Japanese novels than we do. Each time I want something, I have to wait months for Kinokuniya Singapore to bring it in.

Sun Books between Sukhumvit Soi 31 and 33

Slightly down the street from EmQuartier and Phrom Phong BTS station Exit, in the direction towards along the main road located between Sukhumvit Soi 31 and 33, towards Asok BTS station, stands Sun Books (previously known as 'Elite Books'). I don't know if the store near Soi 39 still stands, but I couldn't find that one. What I found was the one between Soi 31 and 33, which stocks a lot of Japanese titles, and that's what I'm looking for.

I was alerted to the existence of this second-hand bookstore by Delia (IG @booksinbangkok) who writes at 'Postcards from Asia'. Sun Books is a no-frills bookstore. Just books, and tiny aisles. It doesn't serve food or drinks! Yay. Hehehe. (If you want drinks, head to Dasa Book Cafe further down the main road between Sukhumvit Soi 26 and 28.)

Second-hand bookstores in Singapore have more or less died. Only a handful are still in existence. We also have nothing that's a book cafe anymore. The rents and perhaps lack of buyers have killed this business concept. Bangkok's bookstores provide so much happiness for me. The second floor of Sun Books stocks all Japanese-language books, and one wall on the ground floor holds English titles. I actually bought a whole stack of Japanese novels, and three English books. Very pleased with my haul. ✌🏻

Sun Books.

No comments: