Saturday, October 07, 2017

Peak Pilates Reformers


Headed to the the gym for the reformers and managed to squeeze into two classes that surprisingly had spaces. Virgin Active at EmQuartier uses Peak Pilates reformers, and the two instructors I got were trained in Peak Pilates method. I understand enough Thai to know what the instructors require us to do. Not a noob either, so it's easy to see how the exercises flow, even if it's a method I'm unfamiliar with.

The Peak Pilates reformers are slightly heavier than Stott's and is kinda closer to a classical machine. (Mentioning Stott because that's the brand of reformers used at Virgin Active Singapore.) It was fun checking out the reformers. The same exercises and movements always feel different when done on different machines and springs (resistance). Pilates exercises are named differently in different teaching methods. However, since I never bother about the names of the exercises or try to remember them, it doesn't matter what the instructors call them in English or Thai! Hahaha.

Peak Pilates lean towards a more classical style, rather different from Stott's contemporary method. In a simple explanation that doesn’t do it justice, the main difference is in keeping the spine neutral or imprinted; contemporary pilates encourage the use of the bosu ball, foam roller and whatever else necessary. Personally, I prefer a classical flow when I want a stretch, and if it's for strength and conditioning, then I'd want to do the contemporary methods.

Happy that I got more than a stretch on this trip, regardless. A vacation is all the more reason for me to fit in 90 minutes of exercise a day. Bangkok is always a nice little jaunt to see the friends, get some groceries and eat some awesome spicy food.

No comments: