Wednesday, November 01, 2017

That 'Beach Road Nasi Biryani'

I very much prefer my biryani in the Kerala or Hyderabad style, but I don't mind a good Indian-Muslim version local style. For another fantastic version of Indian-Muslim biryani, I've been going to Koothurar's for years. It's commonly known as 'Beach Road Nasi Biryani'.

Sited in a kopitiam at the bottom of Block 17 at Beach Road directly across from the bustling food center, the stall has not even bothered with putting up a signboard. Hahaha. It sits between a dim sum stall and a Chinese nasi lemak stall. No frills, not the cleanest kopitiam, and hot like mad, but the food's really good. There's always a long queue for it, but not too bad; the queue moves fast. Most people get their food to-go. At least at the timings I’ve been popping over recently, there's still food, empty tables and not more than five people ahead of me.

The friends love the mutton biryani. Tender enough, they say. There’s chicken biryani too. No vegetarian options. I stick to its fish biryani, and don't pay attention to chicken or mutton. The fish curry that comes along with it is beautifully tangy. Sometimes I ask for dhaal. Most days, the fish curry is fine. Don't take the chicken curry. Chicken curry at many biryani and prata stalls hold an odd pungent stink. When it isn't so crowded, the nice dudes also give me an extra plate of gravy from the fish masala to go along with my meal. Hehehe.


Koothurar Nasi Biryani
(At the kopitiam at the block of flats across from Golden Mile Food Center)
17 Beach Road Singapore 190017
Hours: Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only; from 11:00am to 1:30pm 

No comments: