Thursday, December 21, 2017

Leng Kee Fish Soup At ABC Brickworks Food Center


I was initially confused about this fish soup stall at ABC Brickworks Market & Food Center. Thought it moved over from Bukit Timah Market & Food Center. I asked the stall owners and they said this one at ABC Brickworks is the second outlet! Ohhh. Yay. I don’t frequent Bukit Timah Food Center, so this Bukit Merah option is way more convenient.

Named Leng Kee Fish Soup (龍記), the sliced fish soup holds the familiar taste I know from Bukit Timah. That’s the best part, and the only reason why I would come to ABC Brickworks Food Center. The stall has got a similar blue signboard (with different photos, and placement of words) and it uses the same bowls too. Heh.

The first time I went, it was already 1.30pm and there was no more fish roe. Never mind, soup and fish slices sufficed. Batang fish (ikan tenggiri) was used. Only blanched slices of fish available; no fried options. The queue was long even at 1.30pm. At that hour, I still had to stand in line for 20 minutes. Well, it was kinda worth it; pretty decent, much better than the stalls at Maxwell Food Center, but not better than Hup Lee at The Arcade (which offers fried fish), and Piao Ji at Amoy Street Food Center. Made a second visit to Leng Kee at 11.45am on another day, and there was no queue! Hurrah! Didn't even have to 'chope' seats. However once I got my food and sat down at a table, a queue of 10 people had formed.

Those were my first two visits to this food center. Dunno why it took me this long to check it out. It's got a decent range of food. Also found Hylam Street Old Coffee (海南街老咖啡 #01-53) in the next aisle. That's the one I keep hearing about. Had to try it, and decided that there would be no point going elsewhere for coffee if I’m at this food center. S$0.90 for a superb cup of kopi-o-siu-dai! Thick and richly brewed, it hit every requirement I have for kopi-o-siu-dai. Mmmm. The standard cup from this stall is already 'gao', and of course wins any version by Toast Box or Ya Kun. What unexpectedly wonderful meals!


Leng Kee Fish Soup #01-41
(next to Yong Zhen Lor Mee and Prawn Noodle at #01-40; 永珍卤、虾面)
ABC Brickworks Food Center
Block 6 Jalan Bukit Merah Singapore 150006
Hours: 10am - 2pm; then 5 - 8pm. Closed on Sundays.

No comments: