Saturday, December 16, 2017

Nasi Lemak Still Power!


You know those little packets of nasi lemak wrapped up in pandan leaves? Yeah, those work for me when somehow, the flavors are beautifully balanced between the really tasty rice and superb sambal. In fact, the tiny piece of omelette and bits of ikan bilis in there are the perfect foil to soak it all up. But as nasi lemak turns hip, it's almost as though we're eating it Padang style. Heh. 

I dislike paying a lot of money for nasi lemak that's not done very well. S$25 - S$32 for a plate is a no-no. I'm fine with like... a certain S$15-plate with additional condiments, but not if nothing tastes particularly decent. I especially hate nasi lemak served up in the way that old Fong Seng did (very old NUS people would know), and what Punggol Nasi Lemak does. Not a fan of Adam Road’s Selera Rasa. If I want nasi lemak, I want it done Boon Lay Power style. 

On many nights, the craving strikes hard, and I would go all the way to the west for a plate of very dependable Boon Lay Power Nasi Lemak. Through the years, the cooks have changed, and it has changed serving plates and all that, but it hasn't failed me. The queues are still as long. We go during off-peak hours, but a shorter queue simply means having six to eight people in front instead of twenty. :P At Boon Lay Power, it has many add-on options. I've found the ideal combination- the basic S$3.50 (for now) nasi lemak paru set, and add a piece of fish fillet and begedil. Sure, the rice ought to be more 'lemak' instead of cloying; this stall does its rice nicely. 

It's probably how I judge all these food stalls- by their begedil and paru. Hahahaha. If they can't do these two basic items well, then I have little hope for the rest of the dishes. Maybe it isn't fair, but that's all I pretty much eat in a plate of nasi lemak or nasi padang. I'm not much of a rendang eater. Neither do I care about ikan kuning (now endangered) nor fried chicken. All I want is- super good begedil, tender paru, the fake-super-processed fish fillet (sometimes optional), crisp ikan bilis (peanuts optional), an egg and damn good sambal that's more spicy than sweet


Boon Lay Power Nasi Lemak
Block 221B Boon Lay Place Market and Food Center
#01-106B Singapore 642221

No comments: