Thursday, April 26, 2018

カジュアル晩ご飯うどんとシーフード


The easiest thing to cook at home is udon (うどん). That's my happy version of instant noodles. I love the simplest version- kake-udon. Tonight we piled into the car and headed out of town to enjoy the sea breeze, and an easy dinner at Kisarazu-An (房総海鮮処 木更津庵). I ordered cold bukkake-udon (ぶっかけうどん), which came with a small bowl of negitoro-don. See that onsen egg? That was totally why I had to have that, and asked for an extra egg on the side. Bukkake-udon (ぶっかけうどん). It simply means udon as a carb base sitting in in soy, mirin and dashi, and you throw whatever you like onto it as toppings.

There're many Japanese words that Singaporeans can't utter without grinning. Bukkake-udon is probably one of them. LOL. Although I hope with age, we should all know that the root word of 'bukkake' is usually referring to the act of 'rudely splashing a liquid on someone' (打っ掛け, which explains its popularity in the adult film lingo), and it comes from 'bukkakeru' (ぶっ掛ける). A genteel usage of 'to pour' is 'kakeru' (掛ける). So please just pronounce bukkake-udon smoothly okay?

Well, if I'm thinking in the language and speaking it, then it isn't very funny to me. :P At least I don't stutter or stumble over it on this trip. But there is one dish I simply cannot pronounce without cracking up somewhat- 'カニなべ物'. Very juvenile I know. The only way I won't giggle is if there aren't any Singaporeans or Malaysians at the table. Sometimes, I'd rather just ask for 'シーフードなべ物' or 'kaisen nabe'.

My stomach was very relieved and pleased with dinner tonight. No chance of indigestion striking on this trip. This restaurant is far from the city, and nearer to Chiba, located in the giant Umihotaru complex. It's spacious and not crowded; there is no pressure to zip off after the last bite because of a long line waiting outside for our table. We lingered over dinner, savored every strand of udon, and as always, had good conversation.

No comments: