Saturday, July 28, 2018

Nasi Padang After Firestorm

Got dragged out to a Firestorm at a F45 studio. 45 minutes, 54 stations. Grueling, but not impossible. Hahahaha. It was much needed exercise. Survived. It was fairly fun, but I don't foresee giving up my current gym membership for to join a F45 studio. Hehehe. Anyway we were starving after class and we were in time for an early lunch somewhere. We happened to be in the similar mood for something robust and spicy with carbs.

We don't work out to eat. We work out because we enjoy it and the benefits it brings to our bodies and minds. But the food's a bonus of course. Both of us firmly believe in eating as little processed foods as possible, choosing what we like, and importantly, adhering to the art of moderation. We tend to avoid deep fried foods covered in batter, because to us, that's really not very delicious. Today's lunch would be either biryani or nasi padang. We headed out to Che' Rose Nasi Padang at Toa Payoh Lorong 1, Block 128 kopitiam. I haven't been there for a while, and the girlfriend wanted to try out this nasi padang.

The food's still good and flavorful, but fierce spices have toned down loads. It's slightly more sweet and sour than spicy. Maybe I'm used to something more fiery. Even the sambal terasi and sambal belado served at the side weren’t exactly satisfying for me. Ah well. These are clearly the matriarch's flavors more than Rashid's signature styles. I miss Rashid's rather different and stronger flavors at his old stall in the coffeeshop opposite Singapore Press Holdings. We don't care about rendang that much. It was eggs, potatoes, fish tail, sambal goreng, spices, and paru! The paru was slightly more crispy today, which wasn't what I was hoping for. I prefer soft paru. But it would do. As long as the paru isn't crisp like a biscuit.

2 comments:

Pretziliv said...

I love paru and limpa (spleen) cooked with lots of spice *yum* always go to Orchard Tower Basement for my convenient fix of chilli and Indo food ;)

Liv

imp said...

That’s a good place for Nasi Padang too! I haven’t been there for some time. Should visit again!