Friday, August 17, 2018

The Pilates Thigh Stretch

I think some gym instructors call it the 'kneeling lean-back'. I know it as the 'pilates thigh stretch'. It can be done on the Mat, Cadillac, or on the Reformer. It's a simple exercise that works a lot of muscles in a short time. If I don't feel like planking, I will do this. My pilates instructor uses this as a 'bridging exercise' between tough movements, especially if I've been utilizing lots of arms. It's supposed to be my 'rest' as I work the core even more in another position.

When executed correctly, there should be zero stress on the lower back. It should be kept straight and the hips, ribcafe, shoulders and neck should be all stacked up in a straight line. Straight back down, straight back up. This movement works the thighs, the core, and the glutes. They will burn. If I don't make the abs and glutes help me and rely solely on the quads to do the work, it can almost as though the quads would tear. LOL.

Thigh stretches on the Reformer feel easier because I'm holding on to the straps; it inspires my pilates instructor to make me go even lower. "Butt to heel!" is the standard command. The straps on the Reformer help LOADS. The difficulty is in holding the position when you lean down low. PAIN SIAL. I could go as long as I want, but getting up is where your muscles die. Keeping the carriage still as I go through the reps is always a huge challenge.

No comments: