Saturday, August 18, 2018

Second Round of Laser Treatment for the Sun Spots

The solar lentigines lightened considerably after the first laser session. I'm done with the second laser treatment for the stubborn sun spots, and there is indeed more melanin floating up to the surface and crusting over. But it isn't as bad as the first round. Most of the pigment had been broken up and this time, the crust isn't as dark or plentiful. Whewwww.

I think this is the maximum the sun spots can lighten for this second round. There's only so much the laser can do, and it's now up to the AzA cream to work its magic, and my commitment to wearing sunscreen and keeping the face out of direct merciless sunlight so as not to stimulate excessive melanin production. UV brolly, yes, it's now my daily companion. Haizzzz. I'm still taking those Crystal Tomato pills. But I honestly dunno if they truly work.

Again, I cannot emphasize this enough. This is not your run-of-the-mill IPL. Neither will lightening creams fully work on melasma or solar lentigines unless they contain 4% hydroquinone (which I'm highly against) or 20% azelaic acid. There’s kojic acid and such, which work really slowly in over-the-counter products; these are ideal for clear skin or those with minimal freckles or spots, and won’t be able to address a worsening situation of melasma or solar lentigo. Do not do laser treatments at so-called reputable beauty salons or ‘aesthetic clinics’. Go to a certified skin doctor/dermatologist at a skin clinic and get a proper professional opinion.

There's one more treatment to go in September. This third and hopefully final treatment is crucial since the dermatologist needs to not over-treat it. The cluster of melanin can come back if we're not careful. Then she will decide on future courses of action. I'm thinking of using non-ablative laser treatment to aid skin renewal. I'm not big on facials or super pricey skincare products. I very much prefer using pharmacy products that won't irritate the skin or cause allergies to flare, then pop in to the clinic every two or three months to sort out a I don't have deep wrinkles yet, or deep pitted acne scars, so ablative laser treatments aren't needed. A Medlite C6 treatment sounds good for future sessions. 😉

2 comments:

coboypb said...

Yay to the lightening of your sun spots. Hope the process isn't too "painful" for you. I have a small one on my right cheek and a bigger one on my right that look like yours on Day 10/13. They don't look very obvious yet on/near my cheek bone but monitoring them and applying sunblock in case they get darker.

imp said...

I never bothered much about sunblock till the last two years! Too late. + hormonal changes caused the increase in melanin production. Good on you for the sunblock. Try a spot corrector if you can- Kiehls or Eucerin is pretty okay.