Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Cast Iron Pots Seasoned


For someone who doesn’t have a keen interest in cooking, I didn't mind seasoning our Staub cast iron cocottes. We decided on two to start— a red oval for the man, and a round black for me. Two are sufficient for all our needs in a tiny kitchen. My sturdy black cocotte sits on the countertop, within easy reach. I use it for virtually anything, even to fry an egg. LOL.

These are pots and not skillets, so it's less messy and not as difficult to keep them and avoid getting oil all over other stuff. Yeah, they can't go into the dishwasher, but nothing that salt and water can't solve. I need to turn on the oven twice a week before we start cooking in earnest anyway. I like to add spring onions while seasoning pots. It smells nice!

Coated the pots in vegetable oil and they went for 45 minutes in the oven at 160dC. When I took them out to cool a little and wiped off excess oil, the pots looked ready for their first use. I think these contemporary new pots are pre-seasoned. (Cast iron cookware lasts forever. The vintage ones aren't pre-seasoned. They usually require sanding away rust spots, then re-seasoning to be as good as new.) For hygiene and safety's sake, I'm going to use these pots at least twice all around to cook food for myself before cooking any food for friends. Hahahaha.

No comments: