Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Late Night Salsa

Made it to the late-night performance at 10.30pm to catch the girlfriend in her dance segment. Literally sprinted from the Esplanade to the salsa school's anniversary show venue. I knew that time would be tight and I'd have to run from venue to venue, so I wore flats that night. Teeehehehe.

Also caught a few other acts for the night, and I truly cannot differentiate between salsa classic and modern, bachata and kizomba and all that. I don't have a salsa bone in my body; I'm just happy to watch people dance it now and then.

I didn't ask the girlfriend anything about her performance. I would be in the audience, so that any questions could be answered then! Oof! Grinned when the music came on for her segment. Not that I knew the music so well or what the team was using, but from a recent prior conversation with other people taking Spanish language tests and such, and being forced to listen to some Spanish EDM and other songs, I just happened to recognize the piece as an improvised version of 'Te quedas te vas' by Mojito Project & Romy. 😂

It was very nice to see shimmering shiny costumes and happy faces neatly executing all the steps. For so many people in this item, it was a fairly clean performance. Try dancing a four-minute segment without stumbling or having a hand out of sync. She has always loved salsa and it's only in the past few years that she begin dancing the genre seriously, and made the performance team, and practiced for some fun shows (as an amateur as opposed to a professional career lah). Tonight, all her weeks of hard work culminated in this performance. I knew she spent long hours at practice sessions and was thrilled to cheer her on in the audience!

No comments: