Wednesday, November 14, 2018

A Bowl of Wonton Noodles

This post isn't about me. It's about private bus driver Y and how he seems to be a nice guy who works hard, but almost got screwed over by his old company, and has been dealt a poor hand by fate and circumstances. He was injured working his old job, was forced to quit, and because of the nature of his injuries, he had to change jobs to be a driver for bus companies which provide private charter services.

I take this private shuttle bus quite often. Out of the blue one afternoon, Y asked me about his issue of injuries sustained at work, medical treatment, insurance claims and compensation. I told him I couldn't answer him properly if the stories and questions were in bits and pieces. It wouldn't be fair to him. It wasn't as if he knew what I did for a living or whatever. I had no idea why he started talking to me instead of his family, or friends. By now, I have a fairly good guess about the reasons, but I won't go into details here.

Y took a giant leap of faith and thrust a stack of letters and reports into my hands. He doesn't fully understand English, and he doesn't understand the system, and he wasn't sure what was going on with all these letters or what he was supposed to do. Over the next few weeks, as more letters came, he brought them to me. I didn't mind. Those letters were not complicated and I do read letters for a living. Hahaha. However, I don't have a practicing certificate, and I'm not in the position to give him proper legal advice. What I could do for him, was to walk him through the processes and explain to him what all the parties were obligated to; directed him to the relevant departments and names, and found him the accompanying numbers to call to chase for what he rightfully deserved. Each time I explained something to him, I waited for him to absorb it and sort of repeat it, just so that I knew that he got it.

However, the way I saw it, he didn't need a lawyer since the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) took over his case. Two months on, and let's just summarize it to have proceeded smoothly — MOM cleared his medical reports and issued instructions to his old company and insurance firms to process his claim for compensation within 21 days. Y got his payout. Hurrah. Credit is due to MOM for taking action, and the insurance company for facilitating the compensation. I didn't do anything of substance!

Dunno why Y saw it fit to include me in his 'treat' to the 'colleagues'. There was biryani (for the first batch of colleagues), which I declined. But he insisted on my share of wonton noodles (for the second batch of colleagues), and reminded me to collect it at the appointed time. Okaaaaaay. The noodles came with a packet of satisfyingly thick kopi-o-siu-dai.

What did I do to deserve this delicious food brought to my front door? Stared at my bowl of noodles in thorough bemusement and appreciation. It was the old-school sort of wonton mee that I've missed, and would have to make a long trek to get a taste of. This was a good iteration. I was very thankful for my lunch that day.

2 comments:

b.muse said...

That's what makes you awesome, your huge heart and empathy.

Most people wouldn't have taken the time to help, much less just listen to his woes, you really made a difference in taking the time to help where you can.💖

imp said...

😃 Awwwwww. Empathy isn't something i naturally possess though... :P I have to like, consciously turn it on. otherwise i'd probably offend or piss off many people, erm, consciously.

to be honest, i was planning on simply letting him 'grouse'. till i realized it's slightly more, and that he was simply looking for clarity. so okay for, i listen properly. :)