Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Many Drinks With Shogayaki


Dinner at Suju the other night was hilarious. It was almost as though we were there for drinks instead of food. We had so many drinks on the table! Well, it was a very hot day. Umeshu on ice with soda, iced hojicha, and iced water. I felt like having an easy glass of red, and ordered it too. Hahaha.

Yes, we were thirsty and hungry. Ordered a few appetizers, my favorite kaki gomadare, and for additional crunch to the food, a kabocha tempura. My dining companion couldn't resist pumpkin or decent tempura.

Suju's kitchen does a really good version of shogayaki (豚の生姜焼き, stir-fried ginger and pork) that I'm quite fond of. If the restaurant does it well, then there's no reason for me to cook it at home. Hurhurhur. We each also greedily polished off a full bowl of beautiful rice. I usually ignore the soup and the pickles, so next time I might skip having the set and simply order a bowl of rice. I love the combination of sticky white rice with shogayaki (with the fatty bits scraped off) and its little bit of gravy.

4 comments:

jo said...

Comfort food that never fails to hit the spot!

imp said...

always! and when i don't feel like shogayaki, there's plenty of choices to pick from!

coboypb said...

Shogayaki sounds yummy. I haven't visited it recently. I can try this and the dishes you mentioned in my next visit.

imp said...

The menu is boring that way, but the kitchen does the food well, so no complaints from me! the persimmon with sesame dressing is seasonal though. But that should be on the menu till December.