Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Bhutanese Peppers for Stir-Fry


Our friends went to Bhutan and came back with groceries for us. Amongst the packs were cheese (similar to mozzarella, but not feta) and these huge Bhutanese peppers. I don't think I want to make ema datshi with it. To be honest, I'm not a fan of it. 😬 I'll use these peppers in a normal stir-fry. Those peppers are only a little spicy; no heat or fire, but possess a depth of taste and flavor that the bell peppers in our supermarkets don't provide.

It's not that I enjoy cooking all that much. It's still a science, and salt and spices totally make everything taste better. It's more of that I rather eat food from my own pots than to eat a mediocre meal outside. On many days, there isn't an excuse not cook when I do have access to decent ingredients. It's just a lucky coincidence that the final products turn out edible.

I really love my cast iron pots. They do stir-fry just fine, and prevent the oil from splashing all out and turn the entire kitchen greasy. For a bit of crunch that evening, it was asparagus and French beans with the Bhutanese peppers and a clove of garlic. It was super satisfying to have that with just a fillet of pan-seared sea bream for dinner.

Cantonese style sweet and sour pork (咕噜肉) isn't difficult to do. It's all in the sauce really. Never stinge on ingredients- use a good brand of ketchup, and always include real tomatoes. The pieces of pork doesn't have to be deep fried till there isn't any meat left. The pork just needs to have a hardier texture somewhat so it doesn't turn mushy sitting in the thick sauce. Fried up beehoon with mushrooms and pumpkin, and a small batch of sweet and sour pork for lunch that day with M. I like this dish of sweet and sour pork to be spicer than sweet; the Bhutanese peppers gave it that extra oomph. #ImpieCooks2018

No comments: