Wednesday, December 05, 2018

Coffee On A Rainy Morning


The Nespresso capsules are okay, and the machine is the most convenient option when the man and I have to rush out in the mornings. But I miss my coffee beans. I miss my Yirgacheffes. Those flavors aren't something the Nespresso capsules can provide. I've finally gotten a manual grinder from Hario, and settled for a steel Bodum French press. I'll sort out the V60 or Chemex later, because that means buying ANOTHER KETTLE, and ANOTHER SERVING POT. There's the standard kitchen kettle; I already have a goose-neck kettle that's still in storage, but that might not work anymore.

For now, a French press works great. I've always preferred using a manual grinder over an electric. I think it's the sound that annoys me. There's something therapeutic about the manual grinder. I could just grind beans every time I want it or grind enough for two days. That would keep somewhat fresh in the canister for a short while.

It was good to see M and D again. It was a crazy weekend, but there was time for drinks and supper. They gave us a recently roasted pack of Yellow Catura coffee beans from Bajawa, roasted by Virgil Coffee. I haven't tried this one! Had to remind myself not to hoard it for too many weeks before opening it.

I love my coffee thick and heavy. On many days days, I prefer a full-bodied punch. Sometimes I would want something slightly lighter, but not acidic or too thin either. I've learnt the optimal extraction volume for my grinder, and the ratio of ground coffee to water in the French press. Opened up the pack of Yellow Catura. The coffee turned out pretty delicious. Medium-bodied, it was lovely for a quiet rainy morning.

No comments: