Monday, February 25, 2019

蛋撻 Salve

Of course the hotel knew how upset I was over the lost tote. I realized it within two minutes of exiting the cab, and even before I was through the front doors of the hotel. I most certainly didn’t wail, cry or make a scene. But my facial expressions said it all. I was ushered straight to the room to sort out check-in details so that I didn’t have to be frazzled by the sounds of the busy main lobby. The concierge and front desk managers were concerned and helped me file a police report. But there was nothing more they could do. I felt bad because I gave them an extra administrative headache upon arrival. Ugh.

While the toiletries bag was intact in the suitcase, the items within are insufficient for the week. I had to zoom out to get supplies. I needed cables, chargers and facial moisturizers, eyebrow pencils and such. I didn't feel like toddling down to Causeway Bay or Central to get what I needed. I didn’t want to hit a mall, so I went to the nearest Sasa to sort it out. There's a Sasa everywhere. In contrast, Watsons and Mannings were crazy expensive (as compared to their prices in Singapore) and didn't stock all that I wanted. There's a Body Shop next to this Sasa I hopped into. Perfect. Nothing fancy was needed and everything basic was smoothly procured.

Sasa to the rescue!

When I returned, there was a tray with a warmer basket waiting on the dining table. Awww, it wasn't a welcome tray thing. When we checked in, there was already a welcome platter of fruits, chocolates and wine. The hotel had cleverly estimated my time of return and kindly sent up piping hot egg tarts to the room, along with a handwritten little note, ‘May these tarts make you feel better.’ They actually bothered. Wow, how awesome.

The man loves egg tarts more than I do. But I don’t mind some egg tarts if the custard isn’t too sweet. The hotel’s Chinese restaurant does good ones. The man was out for the day at work, then some dunno-what drinks and dinner. I most certainly wasn’t saving any egg tart for him. I ate both. Hahahaha. (I’d take him to Tai Cheong Bakery at Central lah. Those egg tarts are quite lovely and taste very different from what their Singapore outlets trot out.) Honestly, I felt better after that, and still had appetite to eat when I went out later for dinner with the friends.

4 comments:

D said...

Oh dear. Since you have the taxi receipt, there's a chance you may be able to get the bag back.... no?

imp said...

no way at all. even a receipt, a license number, the fact that i gave the cab driver's name, and a police report, plus a small reward, cannot persuade the cab driver to come forward. he can sell my items for much more than what i'm willing to pay for their return. :(

coboypb said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the trip. I am worried at times about losing my stuff overseas especially when travelling with bosses and in a rush.

imp said...

coboypb: i think we're more aware and cautious when on work trips. it's on our vacations that we park our brains at the back of the room! hehehhe.