Sunday, February 24, 2019

Lost A Bag Upon Arrival In Hong Kong

It finally happened. Between the cab stand at the airport and arrival at the hotel, I turned into a 大頭蝦 and lost a tote bag. It didn’t sit with me in the backseat. It’s likely to be in the corner of the boot of the cab, but since I didn’t have eyeballs on it, I couldn’t be sure.

I was super flustered. The hotel concierge were absolutely helpful. They expedited check-in, took the cab receipts and sorted out a police report for me. I disliked that aunty Longchamp bag (it was a gift), but the contents were items which I hated to lose. The pouches and such were gifts from dear friends and I liked them. I have no illusions about seeing the contents of the bag again. That tote bag contained the electronics (cables, adaptors, earphones, chargers, etc), my cosmetics (also skin cream from the dermatologist, pills, moisturizer, etc), keycards (dammit, but I can still go home fine, no issues) and... my darling Leica Q.

I’m really sad. The keycards are a little bothersome to replace, but not too bad. Although there is a name tagged to my skin cream, there isn’t an address in the bag, so the security risks are minimal. My heart aches for my four-year-old point-and-shoot Leica Q. It’s the easiest grab-and-go camera (fixed lens) among my Leicas, so I’m rather fond of it. I am sentimental over cameras. I hope whoever has it now takes care of it and uses it well. May it bring the new owner joy the same way it brought me. 😖😢 N helpfully sent me a link to the rumored new Leica Q 2.0 that would likely be weatherproofed (my main gripe about the first model) and launching in March. Damn, not really helping, girl!

Before this, I’ve never lost anything major on trips and even thwarted many pickpocketing and swiping attempts. Haizzz. That a bag is lost through my own absentmindedness is hard to stomach. I could think of worse ways to begin a trip. It could have been the precious Leica M10 (my favorite) lost since I almost brought that instead. While the heart is a little heavy, and I miss my camera, I’ll still enjoy the week in Hong Kong. I’m thankful to have the essentials intact—my phone, macbook, iPad, credit cards and passport. Losing those in one fell swoop would be an epic administrative nightmare.

Foggy Victoria Harbor.

No comments: