Saturday, February 23, 2019

Strength Training FTW

I cheered my friends on at the aquathlon last week. Nope, I didn't sign up for it. Hahahah. This one seemed a lot more popular because it was crazy crowded. I would have wilted. It was way more fun and exciting watching the friends race. I’m not consciously training for races since I’m not into them. I train to be ready for all situations, so that trained instincts can take over if and when necessary. Back to my usual exercise regime. I’ve kept up the intensity for two years, and it doesn’t feel like a chore yet. It still gives me much happiness and joy. Weights really help, and muscles gotta be built as we age!

That day, someone expressed surprise at my physique, considering that I do weights. That was said at the weights corner of the gym. Again. Aiyoh. Myths! Starting a weights program and carrying some weights would make you look like a professional bodybuilder? Please. You won't have the strength or core muscles to carry those weights required, and importantly, you'll never be able to be so disciplined when it comes to controlling your diet so that you don't bloat. At least I, as an average non-athlete, am not as disciplined about my food as a professional athlete is.

I don’t just lift heavy during a HIIT class. Outside of a LES MILLS GRIT™ Strength class, I lift with a standard Olympic bar once a week for a short 20-minute session, and yes, by now, I can lift my body weight. Squats, deadlifts, easy. I'll say this again, and say it as often as people need to hear it. Weights do not bulk you up. Strength training doesn't bulk me up. It reduced the percentage of fats in my body and built more muscles. It pushed the body fats over the last plateau and built the lean muscles I wanted, and can now finally see. It only took two years to reshape the physique. Haha.

By the way, even as my physique leans out, my weight remains at 50kg, the same as it has been for two years since I upped the intensity of the exercise regime. I’ve never wanted to lose weight. Losing weight doesn’t change your natural and genetically-determined body shape. Fats don’t turn into muscles. Fats are burnt, and muscles are built. I exercise to get stronger and stay nimble. It’s a fallacy that doing only cardio without strength training will make you lose weight and get stronger.

Oh, dump the 1kg barbells. They’re useless.
Do planks and press-ups.

2 comments:

jo said...

Bonus: meeting ME after gym classes.
(Best way to start the week!) hahahahahaha.

imp said...

That’s a perk ah? Okay lor. Hahahahahah.