Thursday, February 21, 2019

Sugar At Breakfast!


It's not like I completely avoid sugar. I'm not fond of it, but it seems as though that my preferred choice of breakfast often ends up being sweet and quite high in sugar- in the form of granola, fruits, yoghurt, smoothies and such. I can't do all of them together though. It's either this or that, otherwise it's too much food for the stomach to handle in the morning. And...jeng jeng jeng, as organic as they can be, they're mostly processed food!

Yoghurt with fruits is my default breakfast on most days. Natural or Greek-style yoghurt can be sweetened with honey if necessary, but often, fruits would do in the usual blackberries, blueberries or strawberries. Figs and persimmon too, when they're in season. But once in a while, I ignore the sugar content and go for broke with Beillevaire fig yoghurt.

Currently I have an additional breakfast option of bread and dark chocolate spread. L got me a lovely Belgian dark chocolate spread from Le Pain Quotiden. That works great with a cold glass of full-cream milk. It's very filling, and while I would love to quaff two slices of bread, one is usually sufficient for my needs. One slice provides all the energy needed to rock up to the gym for HIIT classes.

I can't quite do without granola. Love that crunch. I'm not keen on baking granola at home, so I still end up buying them, and the ones from Marks & Spencer are surprisingly decent, and low on sugar. Chocolates with granola at breakfast is such a luxury, and I will indulge in it. Since I usually do milk with granola, I figured that it would be all healthy. HAHAHA. I can easily nibble on 90% cacao, but since Christmas wrought a windfall of dark chocolates as gifts which included a few slabs of delicious 70% dark chocolates from Lemuel, those would do too. I opened up the one from Chiang Mai to go with the granola and muesli. Mmmm. 70% ain't too bad. Makes my breakfast taste quite divine.

2 comments:

D said...

while I love sugary stuffs normally, I don't fancy them at breakfast. my preferred breakfast is just a toast with butter and a soft boiled egg. my son, on the other hand, love exactly all the stuffs that you wrote here for breakfast!

imp said...

Hehehe. His happy morning foods.