Thursday, March 21, 2019

This Second Week of Lent


Lent began with my patience sorely tested. The first week was ridiculous—little things that added up to major frustration by the end of the day. These aren't major hiccups in the larger scheme of things; they're just life's little annoyances. The more I think about them, the more I understand that they exist to remind lesser humans that we ought to ponder about 'letting it go'.

If I don't let it go, then the angst simply fester when there really isn't any sane reason for it to do so. I'm not responsible for the actions of another, and even if I'm offended, I can control the intensity of my reactions. I clearly lack grace, be it sanctifying or actual. This Lent, I especially need God's grace and mercy.

As I read my daily devotionals, acceptance in the last long breath of the night sets the pace for a peaceful sleep and a cheery morning. There will be many stressful events and things ahead in this year and the next (and likely beyond) that will require faith and much strength. They mustn't break me. If I'm fearful of them, then I should dig deep within to seek more than stoic resignation, to stay in the light and to draw comfort from the gentle hands of God. To take each day as it comes. The second week of Lent is drawing to a close. I should continue to make penance and live up to the spirit of Lent.

[36] Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. [37] Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you shall be forgiven. [38] Give, and it shall be given to you: good measure and pressed down and shaken together and running over shall they give into your bosom. For with the same measure that you shall mete withal, it shall be measured to you again. 
~ Luke Chapter 6:36-38, Douay-Rheims

No comments: