Friday, March 22, 2019

Impossible™ 2.0

You won't have to convince me about Impossible™. I'm already a convert before I tried it, and when I ate it, I loved it. I was just waiting for it to arrive in Singapore, as the latest version 2.0. Temasek’s 2017 USD75 million investment round in it is paying off (after its recent slew of investment flops; Salt Bae, really?! And Bayer, whoops), and the product gets a boost from the restaurants carrying its plant-based burger patties. I enjoy a steak every now and then (that's probably about thrice a year), but I'm not fond of different cuts of beef minced into a patty, lightly seasoned and served as a burger.  It's just not my thing. However, if an eatery serves an Impossible™ burger. I'll think about it. Hahaha.

I’m okay about Beyond Meat (I definitely do not like Quorn), and I already buy them for the home. But Impossible™ might just get my vote. Perhaps it's the treatment of the meat done by the respective restaurants. I'm not vegan, so I can’t wrap my head around JUST Egg yet. Not hugely supportive because the texture and smells are all quite wrong. When you lather scrambled eggs with gravy and sauces, the calories simply shoot up. I love mung beans and I love eggs, but mung beans do not an egg make. Have you smelt cooked mung beans? You cannot take away my laid-from-a-bird eggs.


We went to Bread Street Kitchen for dinner because I wanted a taste of Impossible™ version 2.0. The restaurant does a regular Beef Wellington, and offers beef from cows. But tonight, I'm here for its special Beef Wellington done with Impossible™ meat. For my dining companions, they were free to order meat and actual beef in the form of a grass-fed Australian Angus ribeye, chicken liver and foie gras parfait with Madeira jelly, fish (hake) and chips, tagliolini with blue swimmer crab meat, parsley and chilli with white wine sauce, and such.

Served with glazed spiced carrots and seasonal greens (in this case, kailan), the Impossible™ Beef Wellington was delicious! I was so pleased with my meal. The kitchen did a great job! They did provide chilli sauce upon request, but it just isn't spicy at all, tasting not much different from ketchup. 🙄

If you rather not take 'fake meat', akin to how one would stay away from those Chinese vegetarian dishes that utilize gluten, then by all means don't eat these types of scientifically-engineered food. To me, I will, once in a while, because it's just better for the planet and our eco-system. (I have a supremely depressing view of the state of the world and its ecological balance that I rather not share at length.) If you're vegan or vegetarian, you will appreciate technological advances in culinary innovation and its wider choices. We're still in a privileged position of saying that we don't want GMO foods. At the rate we decimate the environment and farmlands, one day, (hopefully not in our lifetime) we won't even have those choices anymore. 

No comments: