Thursday, May 16, 2019

Lots of Protein


When a craving for fish strikes, it hits hard. Toddled off to Hakumai for a rather late lunch. We wanted to have its chirashi-don. This hearty bowl is the easiest sort of casual lunch to ingest on a work day. I requested for some tweaks to it. No tuna, no prawns, no sakura ebi, less rice. But I wanted an additional piece of cooked abalone. Oof. My very Singaporean tastebuds always want a non-traditional and robust chirashi-don.

The chirashi-don comes as a set meal with a bowl of lovely thick clam soup, and chawanmushi, both of which I donated to my other three lunch companions, along with extra pieces of anago. I needed to make space for the steamed fish. Heh. I was greedy. For someone who hasn't put in much HIIT hours, I was very hungry. There, we wouldn't need additional capsules of fish oil supplements for the week.

The steamed fish came in the form of an onigochi (オニゴチ、鬼鯒、a variety of sand borer). It wasn't a very big fish, and very easily snacked on by four people. However, it was mainly polished off by me and G since the other two were stuffed and couldn't take more than a few bites. Since none of us have to check in at the office, we went off for a hot cup of coffee and more conversation.

No comments: