Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Getting Used To The Leica Q2


So I lost my Leica Q in Hong Kong, but now I have a Q2. 🙃 Admittedly, the Q2 is much better than the predecessor because of its slightly better weather-proofing (not weather-sealed ah). A few cosmetic tweaks, app and software upgrades and such, but otherwise the lens remain identical.

I'm sooo glad that I had 3.5 years of thoroughly putting the Q through its paces. It didn't sit in a dark cabinet. It came out with me all the time. On most trips it braved mild winter, crazy heat, rains and water. It was in danger of being dropped all the time, and I almost did that, from a galloping horse. Luckily the strap held. The Q2 will do the same. That said, I'm not ignoring my other Leica cameras. They each have a purpose to fulfill, and that depends on what I'm shooting for the day. If you want ONE light and easy brainless all-rounder, I'd tell you to buy a Sony RX100-VI. Any Leica will just be heavy and often disappointing when used as a point-and-shoot. Unless you insist on a Leica, then I suppose the D-Lux can do.

Over the years, I find that it's such a pleasure to tot a camera along with me. Sure, the phone camera works, but it's just barely functional. I prefer an actual camera that I can toggle its settings and such. I will allocate space and weight to cameras, but not other things. Hahaha. Often, I'll prioritize the camera, the rest of the items in the bag will be just a credit card and some cash, and a lip balm.

It was fun to sit down for a Leica Akademie Q2 workshop led by Francisco Marin. He's an architectural photographer by trade, and obviously has a great eye for lines. While I wouldn't be shooting those buildings, rooms and interiors, it's always good to hear some tips, and understand what he uses the Q2 for. By the time I attended this four-hour workshop, I've more or less understood the Q2; I've had almost two months with it. I bought it on launch day. It didn't take much to convince me! Hahahaha. *shrug

2 comments:

Liverella said...

Love my RX100-III, it’s indeed v easy to use and I guess I lean more towards the Japanese clean, bright light effect ;D

imp said...

Then you will use the camera often and put work properly! Nice.