Friday, May 10, 2019

No More Samgyetang Ever!


After binge-watching the latest Season 3 of 'Kim's Convenience' and the episode on Korea in 'Street Food', the man had a sudden craving for Korean food for dinner. Okaaaaay. Off we went to Kim's on Lorong Kilat where it would be emptier at 8.30pm and I wouldn't feel too frazzled. I'm not the biggest fan of Korean food or kimchi, and I hate gochuchang. But I can find something to eat. I'm fine with the flavors of food at Kim's; not too keen on the ones in Telok Ayer Street or even trusty Todamgol which is damn noisy. AND I DO NOT LIKE KOREAN FRIED CHICKEN DAMMIT.

The banchan and bibimbap were tangible representations of happiness that arrived in many bowls. Those made up a fairly nutritious meal. Yes, I'm well aware that we're not in South Korea, and these items comprising banchan come in jars and cans. It's just the man and I, so we can't order that much food. There was a beef bulgogi for him, of which he had a few bites, and packed the rest for the next day's lunchbox.

I was extremely suspicious of the samgyetang. It's Korean, but it's also the standard Chinese herbal soups I avoid! Eeeeps. I took a few sips before chicken was broken up (it was stuffed with ginseng, cordyceps, glutinous rice and whatever else); didn't eat the meat either. Ginseng chicken soup is supposed to be so nourishing and such, right? Riiiiiight. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER. Predictably my eyes swelled within the hour, and the neck broke out in hives. Antihistamine pill to the rescue. Those took a full day to subside. 🤬

No comments: