Thursday, May 09, 2019

Soul Foods

I do not subscribe to any list of ‘forbidden’ food and drinks. In my world, my allergies reign supreme over all health trends and notions, I’ll be damned if I ignore them. I abhor being told what to eat and drink because you don't know what my body can take or how the food allergies flare. I especially want to smack people who tell me not take egg yolks. Oh sod off. I've only mainly taken yolks all my life. Egg white omelette? No, thank you. Till today, my cholesterol is perfectly fine. My HDL is through the roof and my LDL is kept low. It's a genetic trait, morons. That's also because I don't binge on other cholesterol-rich food.

I've been very well fed, and have had loads of fabulous double-boiled Chinese soups from my two usual restaurants whose servers and chefs know my preferences and are able to do fish and fish maw, and vegetables with pork bones, wolfberries and red dates, and no additional funny herbs. (They specially delivered to me.) I've had a few bowls of the sliced fish beehoon soup from the Arcade, and many rolls of my all-time favorite popiah from Maxwell Market. Brownie points to the man who queued up to get takeouts, Hahaha. In addition, I've also tanked up on dhal and Kerala fish curry! Wooohoo.

Enforced rest at home meant that I got super restless. *pun fully intended* But I couldn't go out gallivanting. I was also grimy because I couldn't wash my hair for the first three days. The moment I could pop into a hair salon for a wash, and not be too smeowlly, I gingerly rolled out of the house and into J and L's kitchen, and shamelessly asked to be fed. L offered grilled prawns topped with garlic and pasta, and a random salad with good locally-made burrata. OH YES PLEASE.


As much as I love prawns, intake has to be restricted. I ate two delicious prawns, and loads of garlic. The man was thrilled because we don't cook prawns at home. He loves grilled prawns done this way too, with plenty of minced garlic. He ate so many! Heheheh. I can't clean raw prawns without breaking out into hives or having the fingers swell. If those raw enzymes get onto other stuff, and I missed a spot while cleaning, I'm going to have a huge problem.

L whipped up spaghetti carbonara. The proper type! When they went to buy the locally-made burrata, the kitchen had just made fresh pasta. While the restaurant doesn't sell pasta, they managed to buy a few portions anyway. Hehehehe. YAYYYY! I had two servings of the pasta. It was delicious. Ate quite a bit of the salad too. Good burrata on salad is always a winner.

Since I wasn't on painkillers at all, I could have a glass of wine. No guilt. Eh, I didn't persist with no painkillers because I wanted a glass of red okay. THERE IS A FINE DIFFERENCE. Tonight's food didn't make any allergies flare. Hmmmmpf. I was so appreciative of the chance to get out, but into comfortable surroundings without much stress, and in company that I'm fully at ease with.

No comments: