Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Bone Broth For Choya


Retrieved Choya from boarding. While she liked her minders and was in a familiar venue, it was clear that she was happy and thrilled to see us. She knew all her usual spots at home and hadn't forgotten her house-training. But she has lost weight. Haizzz. She cannot afford to lose any more weight. As comfortable as she was staying with K, apparently she missed us and didn't eat much. It's time to fatten up the girl.

When Choya was moody these few weeks from the man's traveling and our vacation, she didn't just lose her appetite. She also lost loads of interest in dry food, even if wet food is mixed in, so I need to get her interested in it again. And I thought I was under-feeding her. Dohhhh. I'm slowly transitioning her to fresh food (gonna take months), so I would still prefer a meal base of kibbles (Instinct Raw+Boost or its equivalent). Then I'm free to experiment with toppers of wet food (either rehydrated dry nuggets or canned or freshly cooked). Her food should be varied in order to cultivate healthy gut flora and such. She shouldn't get too used to any one type of food, in case allergies flare.

Instead of adding water to her kibbles, I added beef bone broth to round out the meal, and make it more attractive to the dog. My current choice of beef bone broth comes from The Barkery. Comprising a total of 350ml, the frozen pieces are easy to retrieve for portion-size. When heated up, one frozen piece melts into 35ml of broth, which is perfect to soak up ¾ cup of kibbles for this 7-kg dog.

That broth smelt sooo good. I tasted it. Wow! The Barkery made a beautiful broth. It was superbly delicious. It also has bits of meat and such in each frozen piece. I wouldn't bother boiling bone broth at home only because I don't have a slow boiler, pressure cooker or a Thermomix. No. I'm not buying any. Buying frozen bone broth works out better for me. The warm broth lends a deeper flavor to the kibbles. Choya seems to enjoy it. Or at least it kept up her appetite for the first few days of settling back into her routine and calming an angsty gastrointestinal tract.

No comments: