Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Soy Sauce Chicken For The In-Laws

We rarely have the man's parents over for dinner simply because I fear cooking for them. Their tastebuds are so conservative and they've got so many dietary preferences that everything would simply taste weird if I tweak it to, 'way-less-spicy, no sesame oil, no ginger, no lemongrass and no-no-no a ton of other things', plus they like to see plenty of dishes on the table. I cannot.

The man requested for Hong Kong style soy sauce chicken (豉油雞) for dinner. I gave it a whirl in the head, just to see if logistics would work if we had his parents over too. Took the plunge. Since I would be using a whole chicken, I asked him to invite his parents over for a simple dinner. Instructed him to tell his parents that dinner would be simple with only two dishes, and to stress that the main dish would be said chicken with basmati rice, and not white jasmine rice. I don't have the capacity to do more dishes.


I repeated this same menu of soy sauce chicken, double-boiled soup of freshly extracted chicken essence with fish maw and mushrooms, choy sum with garlic, and a test batch of braised pork ribs in black bean sauce (豆豉燜排骨). This menu is dependable and conservative enough for most tastebuds. I didn't have the energy or time to fry up side dishes. These would have to do. #ImpieCooks2019

There was an earlier test batch of pickled green chillies sitting in the fridge, so I took out some for the MIL. She loves pickled green chillies, and apparently these hit a spot. Made every sauce with the help of the food processor- the ginger scallion sauce (薑蔥蓉), a mix of dark and light soy dip for the chicken, as well as a Hong Kong style chilli sauce. Sauces made from scratch are time-consuming; I cannot be arsed about making extra eggs, braising tau kwa or tofu and such.

While the in-laws have been visiting here and there to drop off random stuff and groceries/parcels, and recently, to see the dog, this might well be only the second time they came over for dinner proper in this flat. 🤭😬

No comments: