Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Wine At Home

Between the regular household chores, dog duties and its accompanying additional cleaning, I can't quite cook every day now. With some planning, cooking simple dinners three times a week for dinner is still possible though. Figured out the logistics of prepping dinner, walking the dog and feeding the dog within those evening hours.

I really wanted to taste our wines purchased from the Margaret River wineries. Decided to allocate some time for dinners at home during the week. Nothing fancy on the menu, just a few regular dishes that don't require experimentation. #ImpieCooks2019

Carpe Diem Malbec 2017

I was thinking of doing a soup and three dishes or something. But the man asked for claypot rice (臘味飯). I'm like...huh? It's all nitrates again! I never knew he likes this fake claypot rice so much. I wonder if it's the soy sauce... He didn't want it to be scallops and chicken breast takikomi gohan style.

Made a quick pot of 'claypot rice' and stir-fried cabbage. We considered that a white might be nicer with this meal, but the tastebuds wanted a red. Opened up an easy 2017 Malbec from Carpe Diem. It's a full-bodied red that should pair well with meats, and it did! Went great with the chicken, lupcheong and yuncheong. Hahaha.

Snake + Herring 'Corduroy' Chardonnay 2017

The man requested for fish curry and dhal. I obliged. I might have overdid it on the fish. Hahaha. Well, it's good protein. There was even enough food left for his lunchbox the next day. I had run out basmati rice, and we haven't had time to stock up. Had to use regular brown rice. Can lah.

Super discounted fish fillets (usually seabass) is used as the base for the curry. Then I would separately marinate two other pieces of fillets before pan-searing them to be placed in the ready pot of curry. This round saw red grouper fillet and tail. However, I dunno why I decided to thaw out a piece of barrumundi fillet as well, resulting in three pieces of fish in the curry in addition to the tiny base pieces. Oops.

Picked out a white from Snake + Herring to go with the meal. Oh wow. This must be one of the rare times that I totally enjoyed white wine with food. The 'Corduroy' Chardonnay 2017 went fabulously with the spices and fish! Oy oy!

No comments: