Thursday, November 14, 2019

Tandoori Duck Hearts at Thevar!


Was pleased to see a slight change of menu at Thevar. The man and I love its flavors and how beautifully the kitchen make each dish new yet stay true to its spices. The chillies carry heat, and while everything is made elegant, nothing is dumbed down. The tiny narrow restaurant is perfect for a casual night out for us. Many nights we ask to sit at the bar counter. There isn't a difference at the tables since the restaurant's space constraint meant that seating is designed as small high tables and chairs. The only regular seats and table for six or eight are rather uncomfortable and sited outdoors on the narrow five-foot-way.

Gin always goes best with Indian food. I suppose you could do bubbly, but I prefer gin. Two glasses of gin are perfect for dinner. I do like its house mix of Thevar Fizz, just a gin and tonic with yuzu. I'm still supposed to watch my alcohol intake. So with gin, I would go slow to reduce the chances of a headache settling in. The second glass of gin is usually dessert too. This round, we were so stuffed that we weren't keen on dessert at all, no matter how cute they sounded. Heh.

Duck hearts.
I couldn't resist the tandoori duck heart with foie gras and pineapple chutney. I didn't ask for the foie gras to be removed. But the next round I will. I'm not keen on the taste that foie gras lend to the grilled hearts. Honestly, just the heart alone tasted superb. Wheeeee. Each serving held four hearts on two skewers. I ordered two servings. Oof. I can't resist hearts. Chicken hearts and duck hearts. YUMMY.

We also had sambar croquette with chilli and tomato raita, crunchy smoked eggplant pajeri, and mains of Sri Lankan crab curry rice and veal bone marrow murtabak. I didn't mind the crab curry rice, but because the crab meat was liberally mixed in, I had to take only two small bites. Currently battling allergic reactions and I shouldn't irritate them further with seafood and shellfish.

Indian grandmothers (and maybe some mothers) would likely roll their eyes at the small portion of veal bone marrow murtabak and chide us for paying S$35++ for it. Well, the portion came as four bite-sized pieces of thin murtabak. I dunno if S$35 for bone marrow is worth it, but it was really delicious! We giggled at the side of raita though. The cucumber raita was simple and satisfying, complementing the heavy murtabak perfectly. However, the raita's flavors were ridiculously familiar — they were exactly what we do at home! Down to the exact spices used and how thinly we sliced the cucumbers and chillies! Hurhuhur.

Said S$35 veal bone marrow murtabak.

No comments: