Saturday, December 07, 2019

Omakase at Miraku

Kept hearing about the decent lunch deals at the three-month Miraku at China Square (located after Toast Box near the back of Capri Hotel, at the stretch towards the overhead to Hong Lim Complex) but I didn't have time to go. It's really near where I usually lurk in town when I have work meetings. I understand that the 22-seater restaurant does close occasionally for private events, and the sushi chef caters at private dinners.

Found a night free and made a date with V to try out Miraku's S$168++ omakase menu. There isn't an a la carte menu. Dinner starts at S$98++. V and I don't bother with any cut of maguro, so we requested for no akami, no toro of any sort. Chef Hei gave us additional sashimi of kinmedai and such. The cooked and steamed items were rather delightful. I wasn't in the mood to have sake, but hey, S$7 for a beer—okay ah! At the end of the meal Chef Hei offered us his special uni ice-cream, which is both briny and salty due to the mix of shio kombu and a touch of shoyu. There should also be egg yolk, and cream or milk in it. Whatever it is, that one spoonful was rich and rather satisfying.

I'd say that for the price, you pay for what you get. The finesse and elegance aren't there, but the cuts of fish are decent and the way they've treated the fish is okay. The restaurant keeps it basic. While you won't be stuffed here, you should be nicely filled for a meal. V and I had nothing to complain about dinner. It's super decent. And it's always soul-nourishing to sit down to dinner with a girlfriend.

No comments: