Friday, December 20, 2019

Rain Boots

The dog doesn't need a raincoat or boots (only if her paws are injured). She's toilet-trained on grass and doesn't mind the rain or puddles. She happily trots out in a drizzle. She doesn't dawdle though. She goes straight out to pee, and if she has poop, poop. I realized that her outer coat is fairly rain resistant. Once she shakes off those droplets and I towel her down, she's relatively dry. She's a small dog, so only a tiny towel is required, not even a bath towel. There isn't a need to use the hairdryer. Ah the joys of a double coated dog!

The NEA weather app has been wonderful in its forecast, and showing the movement of rain clouds and the intensity of rain expected. Obviously if it's storming, we stay in. The dog can hold her pee. The storm will pass after an hour or so, or it slackens. There will always be a break in the rain. We'll wait. If I can deal with the intensity of the rain, so can the dog. However, this human isn't as water-resistant as the dog. I don a raincoat and a cap to go out, but the shoes are an issue. Sneakers don't cut it. Rubber boots are needed to traipse through rain and rain-soaked muddy fields.

Groaned when I realized that the three pairs of Wellies I own are sitting the friends' cupboards in Seattle and London. I hadn't had the foresight to ship a pair back home for this monsoon season. The shops here don't sell Wellies if I wanted them stat. The knee-high boots are too warm for Singapore, even though we're at 25dC this season. A low-cut version would be more practical. Had to settle for this pair from Melissa. Went out that day to buy them, and the boots were promptly put to use for the dog's evening walk.

As expected, these rubber boots from Melissa aren't as well-designed or comfortable as Hunter Wellies, but they will do. I'm not wearing them out for the whole day. Socks are still needed though. The boots chafe my ankles and pinch the toes a bit. I doubt they would expand. At least there's some sort of cushioning for the soles and heels. The boots fulfill their intended purpose. It's easy to clean off mud and grime. I'll live. However, once the festive season is over and the postal service is less busy, I'm getting those Hunter Wellies to come in for the next round of rains.

No comments: