Friday, January 31, 2020

To Another Year of The Cheese Room


It's almost like a tradition of sorts to go to Basilico to celebrate D's birthday. We can't think of anywhere else we'd rather be. We don't need to be innovative that way when food at this restaurant is so dependable. D and her husband always foot the bill for this luncheon, and this is the one meal tab that none of us will fight her for it. Oof. Not that we haven't tried, but we have all given up. Hahaha.

The spread of food at Basilico is still good. I enjoyed its iteration of Savoy cabbage and penne pork ragù. They were put out in separate pots, and I simply dished them onto my plate to make a happy meal of carbs. And all of us love that Cheese Room. The volume of cheese available means that we could simply EAT and not feel guilty about it. I love Italian cheeses (and wine) anyway. In every culture of cheese, there will be the usual range of hard and soft, and smoked, and burrata and mozzarella. YUMMY.

This round, the pecorino nero di Pienza caught my full attention. I generally love pecorino, especially those aged in walnut leaves. But I've forgotten about this rather seasoned black pecorino till today. A platter of cheese, bread and savory crackers can be my default meal. It could be for lunch or dinner. I'm certain there isn't much nutritional value in there, but hey, it's absolutely satisfying. It's ridiculous how much cheese I can put away as a meal, or as dessert. Heh.

We give thanks to another year of being alive, and that this table isn't not plagued by major ill health. For every birthday in this Cheese Room, we celebrate another year of friendship, and wishes for everyone's strength and fortitude as we navigate 2020's obstacles and hiccups. 

2 comments:

D said...

And to another year of having wonderful friends :)

imp said...

Always! It’s a treat for us to annoy you. Hahaha.