Tuesday, February 18, 2020

誕生日の海鮮ちらし寿司丼

V treated me to the loveliest birthday lunch. It was the best because it was delicious and absolutely fuss-free. I didn't want to trouble the friends to make any sort of special arrangements, beyond making restaurant reservations. I definitely didn't want any cakes, balloons or things like that. V made time for me in the middle of the work day, and arranged for us to lunch at Hakumai. And that filled my heart with joy. 🤗💯

A chirashizushi-don was in order. I wanted abalone. I had a ton of fussy requests. Hahaha. Asked for no tuna but I wanted a dollop of negitoro, no prawns of any kind, no scallops, no foie gras. Chef Gary and Chef You obliged. I forgot to tell them to skip the anago and give me half the portion of rice. I still struggled to finish the food. Couldn't fit in the tamago, soup or chawamushi that came with the set! Teehehehe. Obviously no alcohol was needed. We asked for chilled green tea to go with the meal.

It felt super rewarding to pop down to eat after an extra grueling LES MILLS GRIT™Strength class. Literally staggered out of the gym. I knew DOMS would set in the next day; needed the proteins for the muscles to recover, and to be able to have a decadent lunch with the girlfriend is a bonus.

2 comments:

Cavalock said...

Hey, happy belated birthday! Been ages since I been to Hakumai, still that good?

imp said...

the standard never dropped, and never improved. Hahahah. It still offers the same bastardized versions of Japanese food. It works when you're looking for a no-brainer meal, randomly unexciting. A good lunch venue.