Saturday, February 29, 2020

Dal Tadka for the Friends

There's usually dal of sorts at home for the man. I keep the boxes frozen so that he could take them out whenever. I've been very much inclined to do dal tadka because it's really easy. Hahaha. As much as I like dal makhani, it's a wee bit more tedious to prep. Also, I don't have ready stock of black lentils and kidney beans at home, whereas I always have toor and chana dal are always in the larder.

When I boiled up a batch of dal tadka last week, I thought that if the timing matched, I would portion out some for friends who love dal. The boxes would go into the freezer; dal keeps well for a long time frozen. But if I mean to give them away, they should be given out as soon as possible. Portioned them out into cute little boxes. Decided to freeze them anyway. Frozen dal is a lot easier to transport than having liquids slosh around. Thermal bags and ice-packs would keep the boxes sufficiently frozen till they get to their intended freezers. #ImpieCooks2020

Luck would have it that the friends were up for some dal and could easily take it home on the day I cooked it. The friends would have to sort out another dish of curry or masala-something on their own to go with the dal. They would also have the requisite carbs of either basmati or ponni rice at home to match it. Otherwise they would have their ways to acquire chapati or idly. Everyone would have their own iteration of dal-something. My dal tadka isn't the best, but it should be rather edible. It should pass an Indian's mom and dad's tastebuds. Oof.

No comments: