Friday, February 07, 2020

Homegrown Passionfruit


One should never refuse gifts of homegrown fruit. When Uncle J and Aunty S brought out the carton of passionfruit, we were wowed. They’re always so kind. We never leave their home without full stomachs and homemade/homegrown gifts.

We were urged to take home as many passionfruit as we wanted. They were ripe or almost ripe, and definitely ready to eat. I took three. These would be perfect to go with breakfast granola and yoghurt. The fruit is hardy like avocados. Both fruits could sit out in on the countertops in our hot and humid kitchens to beautifully ripen. Then I'll place them in the fridge to hold that degree of ripeness for three more days.

The wrinkly skin indicated that this batch would be more sweet than tart. There was a faint fragrance too. Perfect indeed. Opened up one a day. I do enjoy fruits that aren’t overly sweet. I won’t take the same fruits every week either. Boring lah! Weekly fruits are balanced for fructose levels and bought in order to swop them around for a change of flavors and for a different set of antioxidants and nutrients to be infused into the body.

This week, I had a few heavy mornings which required a bite before leaving the flat. No hot breakfasts for me, especially not at 7am. A cold bowl is always lovely — easy to prep and nutritious enough, and importantly, not too sweet. It could ameliorate the sugar in the store-bought granola (because I don't make my own). The body can't produce or store vitamin C. I'll need to consume sufficient amounts to boost the immune system. Besides oranges, I get it through chilli peppers, guava, kale and brussels sprouts. The passionfruit will provide all the vitamin C that's much needed this week. Gifts like these are truly priceless.

No comments: