Saturday, May 16, 2020

Thai Green Curry Chicken At Home

Satisfied a craving for Thai food last week by getting a lunch takeout from Yhingthai Palace. I love their elegant and tangy somtam, and the man loves their version of phad krapow chicken (ผัดกระเพราไก่, Thai basil chicken). Then he asked if I could do Thai Green Curry (แกงเขียวหวาน) with chicken for dinner soon. Hmmmm. I'm still wrestling with the last bits of indigestion, but I guess I ought to feed the husband. 🙃

The larder is stocked with lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, belachan and Thai shrimp paste, etc. Bought green chillies, vegetables and coriander. It isn't difficult to pound up the curry paste. Making the green curry paste is the toughest part of the whole process. Everything else is a breeze. Plenty of chicken in the freezer. I'm not the biggest fan of chicken. This 'circuit breaker' has seen too much chicken on the dinner table. I can eat a few bites of the meat and I mainly take the accompanying vegetables. But the man, is a total fan of chicken. He can probably eat it every day in a different form and doesn't mind it for the rest of his life.

With all the ingredients ready, I cooked up Thai green curry (แกงเขียวหวาน) for dinner. The meat used was chicken of course. Hahaha. I was keen to slather the curry over my rice, but to preserve my sanity, I needed loads of vegetables, and used a ton of long beans and those cute tiny round Thai eggplants. Didn't add potatoes. It isn't the curry for them; potatoes would have tasted super weird in this curry. #ImpieCooks2020

It came out tasting quite legit, and very spicy. Hahahah. I used a mixture of large green chillies and green chilli padi. We didn't even need the dipping sauce of fish sauce and sliced chillies (พริกน้ำปลา prik naam plaa). The man was very happy with the meal and asked to freeze a portion so he could heat it up for another lunch. The rice in this photo looked like a lot because it was A LOT. I was too lazy to get a plate for myself, and scooped out everything onto the man's plate and ate from there. I wasn't too hungry and didn't need that much food.

No comments: