Saturday, May 09, 2020

Used The Smoked Chicken Carcass In Cabbage & Chickpea Soup

The girlfriend's gift was a gift that kept on giving. 🖤 I didn't realize that Salted & Hung really meant charcuterie when they delivered a sealed pack of cured meats along with dinner that night. I assumed the man finished it for breakfast. He was like, 'No... it's a lot! I saved it for dinner!' I was like, whaaat.

Opened up the pack of charcuterie. Wow! So much! Two kinds of ham and chorizo, all sliced for convenience. Bread was needed. Took out half a loaf of sourdough from the freezer too. (Love how our neighbors and friends feed us!) The man took out some more pâté and added to the plate. I almost considered searching for the bottle of chutney tucked away somewhere to add to this. But never mind, this was a rather happy plate.

There was soup too. With the smoked chicken carcass from said meal (frozen and thawed), the man boiled up an easy pot of soup, threw in chicken thighs, chickpeas, carrots and cabbage. The carcass was marinated and smoked. That lent a heart robust flavor to the soup that we can't replicate unless we roast the chicken first. The soup only needed additional spices and pepper, and didn't need salt at all. What an easy meal to prep. It made for a filling dinner on a rainy night.

I don't have much appetite these days. The brain is focusing more on 'what should I drink (alcohol) tonight?' I don't like considering food options. It's sian because the man is VERY INTERESTED in food and he needs variety. I don't always fancy sharing meals with him. Ugh. It feels like every day is about food and it's rather tedious to think about that. I like food, but I'm really not hot about cooking or even assembling food. I'm not even too keen about ordering in daily either. To be honest, I just want to eat granola, milk, yoghurt and fruits. Or udon soup. Or mac & cheese. Or spam with eggs and rice. Hahahaha. So when the friends send a generous amount of food in one dinner like this, it's appreciated because I literally can make another two meals out of it with minimal fuss.

No comments: