Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Father's Day Dinner


We didn't head out over the weekend to mark Father's Day although restaurants re-opened for dining-in on Friday 19 June as Singapore steps into 'Exiting Circuit Breaker: Phase 2'. There was no rush to ‘celebrate’ the end of ‘Circuit Breaker: Phase 1’. (We’re not in the clear. This is a reprieve, the calm before the storm. Nope I’m not an optimistic person. I’m pragmatic.) I also don’t fully subscribe to celebrating Father’s Day dictated by the commercial winds. Regardless, we weren't interested in joining the crowds at the indoor malls, restaurants and such. A week ago, we had already ordered takeout to be delivered, way before the announcement of 'Phase 2', and stuck to it. 

We visited the man's parents a day earlier, and ate at home with them, just to avoid the possible delivery manpower crunch, delayed deliveries and such on Sunday. Ordered the standard Peranakan dishes that the parentals like from Daisy's Dream Kitchen, as well as a special large pot of 'Grandpa's Pomfret Soup' from NUDE Seafood. I even ordered a lychee-rose cake, vanilla madeleines, and lemon yoghurt loaves from Cherie at Petite Joy Bakes

The dishes from Daisy's Dream Kitchen were dependable, as usual. Bought an extra bottle of sambal belachan for the freezer at home. I really like their sambal belachan; it's an iteration that I wouldn't mind having daily. NUDE's special weekend edition of threadfin collagen broth held pomfret, abalone, exclusive fresh fish maw, premium Hokkaido scallops, and tiger prawns. It was good, but it tasted really complicated. I think I prefer its usual pomfret soup straight up. I was a bit like, wahhh, why you spoil my soup with scallops and prawns. The shellfish rendered the soup unfriendly to allergies and I had to go pop an antihistamine prior to dinner.

I wasn't sure about the cakes since it was the first time I ordered from Petite Joy Bakes. I was attracted to their promise of 20% less sugar in their cakes, but that's relative isn't it? I'm not the best judge of it because I generally don't like sugar and stay away from all ice-cream and desserts. It's very hard to find good cakes, and each time I hear a bakery suddenly becoming popular on Instagram, it always turns out to have way too sweet bakes. I ordered the lemon yoghurt loaves for myself. Those were pretty okay; the white yoghurt coating was seriously sweet, so I skipped most of that. I don't particularly fancy rose-anything at all. The scent is rather off-putting. However, the parentals and the man aren't averse to lychee-rose sponge cakes, and since lychees are in season now, why not. They said the cake was delicious. Cool, glad that they could eat it. Along with the madeleines, there was a fair chunk of cake left for their tea over the next two days. 

No comments: